Follow Her on Twitter Here
Black Friday is just around the corner, and any retailer knows that’s the day when holiday shopping season officially begins. Here are some Black Friday marketing tips to help you stand out.
- Start early — don’t wait until just before Black Friday to start promoting. Gain some momentum by promoting everywhere, such as your social media posts, email newsletter, website pop-ups and ads. Some Black Friday marketing ideas include offering pre-Black Friday promotions and countdowns revealing what specials you’re planning in the weeks to come. Many customers set their plans early so you want to make sure you are on their radar.
- Collaborate and partner with other complementary (rather than competing) small businesses to promote your deals. This is a great way to cross-promote your offers and make you look even more irresistible to shoppers. So if you sell accessories, for example, consider partnering with a boutique that focuses on shoes and cross-promote deals only available to one another’s audience. You’ll get more exposure and increase traffic.
- Reward loyal customers with special deals. Your favorite customers want to know they matter to you, so consider offering an exclusive Black Friday coupon and promotion code for those on your email list or those who are on your social media feeds.
- Offer free shipping, a free gift or a bonus with a purchase. It could be anything from a smaller product to a holiday-themed gift, to a buy-one-get-one-free or discount off their next purchase. You could also extend the bonus to any referrals they make to help build your customer base.
- Get more exposure by promoting deals using relevant hashtags across your social media channels. Some examples include #blackfriday #smallbusinesssaturday #cybermonday
- Have time-sensitive offers. This is one of my favorite Black Friday marketing tips because it creates that sense of urgency that gets people visiting and buying today. You might decide to open your doors early for special customers and offer deals like “first 15 people will receive 50% off their purchase.” Another idea is to create hourly deals where every hour there’s a special deal on a certain product. People love the surprise. Be sure to let your customers and subscribers know about these deals at least a few days before.
- Turn Black Friday into a special event. If you’re a brick-and-mortar business, create a festive party-like ambience by serving free drinks and hors d’oeuvres or having live holiday music. If you’re an online business, hold a contest, sweepstakes or giveaway that engages your audience. For example, you could ask fans to create a short video or fill out a questionnaire with their biggest holiday shopping snafu or something else that invites engagement. Another easy and popular promotion is to hold Twitter retweet / Facebook like and share / Instagram hashtag giveaways.
- Optimize your emails for mobile: According to Marketing Book, in 2015, 71% of marketing emails were opened using mobile devices so make sure your emails load quickly, have working links and are easy to read on a small screen by breaking up your text.
- Create a holiday gift guide. Black Friday is the day when many shoppers try to knock as much off their list as they can, so create a guide (with products from your store) that inspire them. It’s good to put together several gift guides to cater to different customers/needs, such as:
- Gifts for mom
- Gifts for dad
- Gifts for kids
- Gifts for less than $15
Once you’ve created your gift guide, cross-promote it in emails, blogs, social media and in-store so you can maximize exposure. Need more Black Friday marketing tips? I have put together a special list of “Black Friday Email Subject Lines” that you can download for free by clicking the button below.
During this busy season, many emails get unread or unnoticed and the best way to attract subscribers into opening YOUR emails over your competitors’ is with your subject lines. Steal these and use them, tweak them or customize them in your marketing to help you get more clicks and sales this Black Friday. Click the button below to download it now.